Skip to main content

Featured

A Slice of Heaven (Part 2) - Beer Bread & Buns

For Part 2 in this  series   I decided to indulge into two other favorite bread recipes, that's is not just dynamic, but delicious and wholesome.  Beer bread and Buns.  In recent times it has been difficult to bake beer bread, and I don’t like to mention Covid 19 (hold my beer), but we were unable to purchase any alcohol as the government imposed an alcohol ban in our country.  This in turn inhibited me to bake or create anything that contained alcohol, especially our family favorite - beer bread.   Banned? The ban was lifted then imposed then lifted, then imposed again,  so when we had the chance to buy any beer (and there weren’t many - I am an Essential Worker), we had to jump to the opportunity. This meant that standing in a long queue with short frustrations was the new normal.   A slice of  Heaven Alas! I was able to get the ingredients for my recipe and then I created a slice of heaven.   That first slice was heaven, topped with melted golden butter delight.  A bliss to the

Ravioli at Home : The Italian Chronicles




Naturally after Pasta, Ravioli had to come into my life, a perfect filling nestled between two blankets of good old Italian tradition.  All my life I have been mesmerized by their relationship to food, art and lifestyle. Food in Italy is not just a meal, but a symphony of flavors, aromas and history.  


The First Impression

Even though I'm not Italian, I have always been a huge enthusiast of Italian food.  When I started my blog about a year ago, I was soul searching for the first dish I would present to the world. And as my family and friends would know I have a weird, overly indulgent obsession with everything pasta and Italian food in general.  


Daddy Tin_Tin

My first post was dedicated to my awesome father (Daddy Tin_Tin), who initially introduced me to food, and it was about pasta. As I reflect the past year, I realized that I have featured a few dishes on Italian cuisine. I try and contain myself when it's my turn to cook for us and not serve another pasta based meal, though I at least cook one  per week.

Wake me up! 

I really try to challenge myself in everything I do, to push myself to the brink of breaking point, and in that moment I experience a burst of creativity, almost a sense of euphoria and satisfaction.  I find inspiration in everyday life, whether its' the underlying beat in a song or a smell that triggers an old memory.  I take visual queues from things that spike my brain.  Different colors evoke a different emotion, maybe a soft warm fuzzy feeling to a darker somber self reflection. 

Thanks to my moms' side of the family, I can be very stubborn sometimes (try and bargain with a Leo, not gonna happen!). Most of the times this can translate into excellent results and the occasional flop.  I certainly learn from these experiences and better myself as much as possible. After a few failed attempts in life, I've learned that you can fall so so many times, but always get up and try again.  My grandmother always told me: "Persistence always triumphs" .  Ravioli was no different.  I have achieved my "Italian" goal.  I can make Ravioli.  Ballissimo!    


Ravioli

Serving  : 4-8
Prep       : 60 - 90 minutes
Cooking : 10 minutes

Ingredients (Ravioli - pasta dough)
  • 3 cups of flour
  • 4 large eggs

Method
  • On a floured surface, place the flour and create a small crater.
  • Brake the eggs into the crater and slowly mix together.
  • A dough will start to form, at first it might seem very dry, but while working the mixture the dough will start to form.
  • Form a ball from the dough and cover it in cling wrap.
  • Let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before use (can be stored in the fridge for up to 18 hours).
  • Roll out the dough in a very thin layer, if you can see through the dough then you know it's the right thickness. 
Filling
  • Add filling of your choice (I added a beef bolognese filling),  make sure that the filling is not too wet so that it will not leek out during the cooking process.
Place the filling in the middle of the ravioli parcel and brush the edges with water, this will enable the top layer to stick to the bottom layer!
  • In salted boiling water cook for 2 - 3 minutes. 
  • Serve with sauce (I made a classic Béchamel sauce).
Bellissimo!




Goditi il Piatto
Tin_Tin

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

01 09 10