Skip to main content

Featured

A Slice of Heaven (Part 2) - Beer Bread & Buns

For Part 2 in this  series   I decided to indulge into two other favorite bread recipes, that's is not just dynamic, but delicious and wholesome.  Beer bread and Buns.  In recent times it has been difficult to bake beer bread, and I don’t like to mention Covid 19 (hold my beer), but we were unable to purchase any alcohol as the government imposed an alcohol ban in our country.  This in turn inhibited me to bake or create anything that contained alcohol, especially our family favorite - beer bread.   Banned? The ban was lifted then imposed then lifted, then imposed again,  so when we had the chance to buy any beer (and there weren’t many - I am an Essential Worker), we had to jump to the opportunity. This meant that standing in a long queue with short frustrations was the new normal.   A slice of  Heaven Alas! I was able to get the ingredients for my recipe and then I created a slice of heaven.   That first slice was heaven, topped with melted golden butter delight.  A bliss to the

Crispy Chicken Waffles: This one is for all the Weird Kids out there.




I remember for most of my life, I have been the odd one out, not always fitting in wherever I go.  Always picked last for the team, not being chosen as class captain, labeled as the weird, artsy kid that everyone made fun of.  I never really fit in anywhere.  As a child I found out that kids can really be mean.  Where do I go? Who wants to be friends with the weird kid?  Before going to high school, innocence is usually not lost.

This was Tough

High school wasn't any better, everything intensified! Halfway through high school, we moved almost a 1000 kilometers to a city close to the ocean. Guess I had to start all over again, trying to fit in and not to get noticed.  My first day at the new school wasn't any better.  I hate being the new guy. This was tough.

I get home from school, relieved that the day was over. Thankfully I started to develop my artistic skills (by the age of 12, carrying it through to adulthood) and had a place I could escape to.  Other than my artistic skills, my interest in food also started to grow. I would get funny looks from people around me for the odd combinations I made.  For me, peanut butter and mayo together was heaven etc.  People don't really understand the daily impact one can have on a persons' life with silly little remarks whether they might be positive of negative.

Different is Cool

In life, I decided to focus on the positive and the "different".  Sometimes things don't always fit, but they make for the most magical moments. Weird is wonderful and great.  Not fitting in is okay, and I challenge anyone to tell me otherwise.  The world lacks originality.  I recently put out a dish I worked on so hard, and I was met with tons of negativity and terrible feedback. I thought this is it, this is the end of me, but I had to take a step back and find the positive, inspiring bits and focus on that. 



I set out to challenge the normal and mix things together that never really fit,  in a food I do the same, and I am not afraid to experiment and make new combinations.  Those who know me, know about the blue velvet cake I once baked - it turned into a fiasco.  Send me an inbox for the full story. (I chuckled at this memory!) .  

Deep Fried, Fluffy & Sweet!

Combining deep fried chicken with waffles sounds a bit odd, but interestingly works harmoniously!  The crunchiness of the chicken nestled on a bed of fluffy waffles and crispy bacon, drenched in dripping maple syrup.  Complimented with tangy, creamy coleslaw and other delicacies.  None of the ingredients fit together, and as odd as it may sound, it will satisfy every inch of your taste buds.  

This one is for all the Weird Kids out there. 

Crispy Chicken Waffles


Serving  : 2 - 4
Prep       : 10 minutes
Cooking : 35 minutes

Ingredients (Crispy Chicken)
  • 2-4 Chicken breasts
  • 2 large Eggs
  • 11/2 cups Bread Crumbs
  • 1 cup Kellogg's Corn Flakes
  • potato Chips (for extra flavor - crushed)
  • Chicken spice
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • Oil for frying
Method
  • Cut Chicken into strips.
  • Beat eggs in a separate container and keep aside.
  • Mix bread crumbs, chips, chicken spice, corn flakes, salt and pepper in a blender until fine.
  • While the oil is heating up, dip the chicken strips in the eggs and then in the crumb mix - repeat 3 times.
  • Slowly place them in the oil and fry until golden brown.
  • Set aside on a paper towel to dry.
Using an Air-fryer for the chicken strips is easier and less messy.

Ingredients (Coleslaw)
  • 250g raw Coleslaw 
  • 1 part Condensed Milk
  • 2 parts Mayonnaise
Method
  • Mix condensed milk and mayonnaise together, adding a dash of milk if the mixture is to stiff.
  • Mix this with the Coleslaw and you have a quick "salad". 
Ingredients (Bacon)
  • 200g Bacon (strips not diced)
  • Butter for frying
Method
  • In a hot pan, melt butter and fry bacon until crispy and golden brown.
Ingredients (Waffles)

  • 2 cups Flour
  • 1tsp Salt
  • 4 tsp Baking Powder
  • 2 tbs Sugar
  • 180 - 240ml Milk
  • 2 large Eggs
  • 1/3 cup Butter (melted)
  • 1stp Vanilla Extract
Method
  • Sift all the dry ingredients together.
  • Mix milk, eggs, butter and vanilla extract together.
  • In a mixer, slowly add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix together until a batter forms. 
  • Scoop some batter into a waffle maker and close the lid (a waffle pan can also be used).
  • Once they are golden brown , remove.
If the batter is too thick, add the extra 60ml of milk and mix.

* Have some Maple Syrup ready to drench over the Waffles and Sweet Chili Sauce for dipping. 


Stack everything in the following order:
  • Waffle
  • Chicken Strips
  • Coleslaw
  • Bacon 
Top this all off with sticky yummy golden Maple Syrup and serve with Sweet Chili Sauce on the side.




Enjoy

Tin_Tin

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Baie dankie ! Dit is baie lekker en maklik om te maak!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmm... Love this blog spot. Very inspiring and REAL ☺Have got to try this (minus the bacon 😅) #halaal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it would taste delightful if you substitute with Macon ! Thank you for the complement

      Delete
  4. Wow, this looks yummy. Thank you so much for sharing! I'm gonna have to try this soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jasmine! Thank you for the compliment. If you try it out. Please let me know how it was.

      Delete
  5. Delish! I will surely try that out at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks Neil. Yeah it’s a must try and an interesting dish to impress friends or family with.

      Delete
  6. This looks delicious. Im going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robert. Please let me know how it comes out !

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a delicious combination (even if I am not really that much of a fan of chicken). I think it has all the elements of a successful dish: crunch, softness and opposite flavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanna for the lovely comment. Yes. I think opposite elements can sometimes make or break a dish!

      Delete
  8. This looks so appetizing! I'm literally getting hungry as I type. I haven't tried this yet but will definitely do one day. Thank you for sharing with us the recipe! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Polly. If you are getting hungry while typing. Image making photographing and styling it ! Makes you really hungry !

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! Oh god! The tortuuuure! :D I got distracted by the food last time. I was gonna comment about the "weird" part. Well, I'm a weirdo. People thinks I'm weird too but nah... It's what makes us unique. Or should I say, "limited edition." :D :D Embrace it! :D

      Delete
    3. Hi! Yeah normal people scare me! I’m a weirdo obviously. And don’t care about the rest!

      Delete
  9. What a different take on chicken & waffles! I don't think I've seen anything like this before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think that that they don’t fit but it does .

      Delete
  10. I love chicken recipes and i believe i am the Weird Kid this post title talk about ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow ! Thank you Haroon. This is really touching if at least one person on the earth can relate. And I think there is a little bit weird in all of us. Just don’t be shy to show it. And it does not matter the world thinks.

      Delete
  11. wow i'm drooling over here! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Once you try it out let me know how it was.

      Delete
  12. "Different is cool" yessss :-) I couldn't agree more :-) and Waffles are delicious :-D You can combine them with whatever you want, big yes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love anything chicken and waffles so all these recipes sound tasty to me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE chicken and waffles! One of my favorite ways to eat it is with a sweet and spicy syrup. Basically it’s just maple syrup and hot sauce! So I’ll have to try this recipe and add my syrup to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely add hot sauce next time. Never thought of that. And I really love hot sauce.

      Delete
  15. Yummy! I’ll have to try this recipe.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you try. Let me know what you think and how it was !

      Delete
  16. Thank you for the comment and subscribe! Pleeeaasssseee watch this space. Chocolate coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My son would enjoy this recipe. He loves waffles! Great and creative recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great recipe especially for the kids. Will try it as well and hope that my girls would love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is common where I'm from!! IT's soooooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! They are good. Ps. Where are you from.

      Delete
  20. Good food is always a good read especially recipes that I can try at home. We are not made to fit in and the system has corrupted people to believe if we don't fit in that is wrong, truth be told different is the NEW COOL like you said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! This makes me so happy ! Thank you for the awesome comment. I feel blessed if what I stand for can resonate with at least one person in the world.

      Delete
  21. I have my first lunch with my mother in low this weekend i will definitely try this it looks amazing..I will let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome ! I’m sure she will love it !

      Delete
  22. Yummylicious! Although this is the first time I have encountered chicken being eaten with waffles, you made it look so mouth-watering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the beautiful compliment.

      Delete
  23. Replies
    1. You should try them too. Awesome taste

      Delete
  24. Yummy! I would love to try this out at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi when you try them. Let me know how it was.

      Delete
  25. Wow this looks so good! I’ll try this out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorita. Let me know how it was !

      Delete
  26. I never have tried chicken waffles lol. Definitely need a different experience to try on. And wow, you are an artist. This looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for the comment. I love art and everything weird.

      Delete
  27. looks Soo Yummy and delicious <3 !! waana give a try ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you make it. Let me know what you think.

      Delete
  28. I'm a vegetarian hence all I can say is well done with the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you sooooo much. Haven’t actually thought of a vegetarian option yet.

      Delete
  29. Looks nice. I'm sure kids will love these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this will be a hit with kiddies and adults alike ! Thanks.

      Delete
  30. Chicken and waffles are my all time favorite. Everything looks so delicious and calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When destiny calls your name, then you should answer.

      Delete
  31. I had chicken and waffles once. it was amazing. it was while we were out in San Diego, we had found ourselves in celeb chef Stacey Poon-Kinney's Trails Eatery. I've not had them again since in fear I'd be disappointed, but this recipe looks pretty darn good. I may have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a go. I was putting it off for a while because I thought it might be too difficult. And I love creating easy recipes. And this was super easy.

      Delete
  32. Lol, I have never heard of chicken waffles. I would love to have them, I guess I am one of those weird kids :P

    ReplyDelete
  33. Suanlian Tangpua10 July 2019 at 09:00

    Everything looks so delicious here. I love chicken (y)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken is soooooo versatile and you can do anything with it!

      Delete
  34. This is really a different combination. Am curious to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bindu. Once you try. Let me know how it was.

      Delete
  35. Not only for kids but for me as well! would love to try it out

    ReplyDelete
  36. OMG!! This recipe looks delicious, I'm definitely bookmarking it for this weekend!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Best,
    Diane

    Diane Coletta
    Petite in PAris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I feel so honored that you are bookmarking my recipe ! Wow Thank you.

      Delete
  37. Looks so delicious!!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Lucy you should try it. It’s delicious and easy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

01 09 10