Skip to main content

Featured

A Slice of Heaven (Part 2) - Beer Bread & Buns

For Part 2 in this  series   I decided to indulge into two other favorite bread recipes, that's is not just dynamic, but delicious and wholesome.  Beer bread and Buns.  In recent times it has been difficult to bake beer bread, and I don’t like to mention Covid 19 (hold my beer), but we were unable to purchase any alcohol as the government imposed an alcohol ban in our country.  This in turn inhibited me to bake or create anything that contained alcohol, especially our family favorite - beer bread.   Banned? The ban was lifted then imposed then lifted, then imposed again,  so when we had the chance to buy any beer (and there weren’t many - I am an Essential Worker), we had to jump to the opportunity. This meant that standing in a long queue with short frustrations was the new normal.   A slice of  Heaven Alas! I was able to get the ingredients for my recipe and then I created a slice of heaven.   That first slice was heaven, topped with melted golden butter delight.  A bliss to the

And First, there was Pasta!



I remember my father doing most of the cooking while growing up, and the very first dish I learned to make, was the Famous Pasta Dish! Versatile in many ways, eaten by almost every person on earth.



Even though I'm not from Italian descent, I could feel the inner Italian flaring up and taking over in the kitchen.  Different flavors, aromas and textures filled our home.  School was a drag, as it was for most kids (I mean in the 90's: Technology Duckface Selfies and Filters wasn't a thing yet!). After school, homework came ... Then glorious Supper!



My father was a wizard.  Creating stunning food/artwork out of almost nothing. I watched as he meticulously added different herbs and spices.  Short before long, dinner was served and my taste buds were satisfied. One particular dish stood out above the rest, Creamy Chicken Tagliatelli! Now the ingredients are plain and simple, yet elegant and tasty.


Creamy Chicken Tagliatelle (Serves 4)



Ingredients:


500g Tagliatelle  
4tsp Olive Oil
1 or 2 Large Onions
1 Bell Pepper
Garlic to taste
4 Chicken Breasts
Dried Mixed Herbs
Dried Italian Herbs
Salt & Pepper to taste
Fresh Chillies for Bite (optional)
Cherry / Italian Tomatoes
Italian Parsley

Method:

Bring a pot of water to boil, add 1 teaspoon of table salt and 2 teaspoons of Olive Oil (The Olive Oil will help the pasta not to stick to each other).
Add pasta to boiling Pot & cook till al dente.
Once the Pasta is cooked, drain the water, and rinse with cold water. 
Set aside.

While the pasta is cooking, in a Sauce Pan, heat olive oil.
Brown diced onions in pan until golden brown.
Add Garlic, herbs, chopped Chillies, Salt & Pepper and diced Bell Pepper.
Halve the Tomatoes and add to pan, stir  for 2 minutes.
Cut the Chicken into cubes of 2-3cm's / strips, add to pan and stir until cooked.
(I usually add some chicken stock to the pan and put the lid on - this helps the chicken to cook thoroughly, without being dry!)
Simmer for about 5 minutes / until cooked.
About 2 minutes before dishing up, add the Sour Cream and gently fold into the Chicken.

Ready to Eat!











Comments

  1. Well done, so proud of you. Seems like you are an expert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, as implied by The title of the blog, just an average cook with big dreams!

      Delete
  2. Ek is trots op jou... vir n amateur lyk dit tog te 'grant' doen so voort jy mag maar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erg woes beindruk!! Sal baie graag dit wil proe!!!!!!!!!!
    Hou so aan.... Ek soek n paar maklike chinese resepte ook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. About time I would say.... Loving it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You giving a lot of credit to your dad, think he was just winging it most of the time.
    Glad it brings happy memories. See you for dinner soon.😊😊
    Proud of you Tintin.
    Your old man xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited to try this recipe :)
    Yummm yumm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please try it out, and let me know how it was!

      Delete
  7. Looks delicious, can't wait to try this and many more of your delicious recipes. Love you back story, behind the recipe as well 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thank you for the awesome feedback! Yeah, the back story is very dear to my heart, and I think this was the right time to share it, as it has been "brewing" for a very long time. Many recipes will follow!

      Tin Tin

      Delete
  8. This recipe looks delicious, quick and easy!! 💞 Congratulations Tin Tim awesome blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi , when you try it out let me know how it was!

      Tin Tin

      Delete
  9. Oulik Rudolfus...gaan beslis self maak...
    Wil jy nou chef word?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Jan. Ek amateur chef Maar en deel my bevindinge Met almal. Laat weet hoe dit toe uit gekom het !

      Tin Tin

      Delete
  10. Wow bra......looks delicious. Many hidden talents, I see. If this is amateur, I can't wait to see when you go pro. Really awesome. Will definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story... yummy yummy for my tummy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

01 09 10