Skip to main content

Featured

A Slice of Heaven (Part 2) - Beer Bread & Buns

For Part 2 in this  series   I decided to indulge into two other favorite bread recipes, that's is not just dynamic, but delicious and wholesome.  Beer bread and Buns.  In recent times it has been difficult to bake beer bread, and I don’t like to mention Covid 19 (hold my beer), but we were unable to purchase any alcohol as the government imposed an alcohol ban in our country.  This in turn inhibited me to bake or create anything that contained alcohol, especially our family favorite - beer bread.   Banned? The ban was lifted then imposed then lifted, then imposed again,  so when we had the chance to buy any beer (and there weren’t many - I am an Essential Worker), we had to jump to the opportunity. This meant that standing in a long queue with short frustrations was the new normal.   A slice of  Heaven Alas! I was able to get the ingredients for my recipe and then I created a slice of heaven.   That first slice was heaven, topped with melted golden butter delight.  A bliss to the

Re-Inventions of An Amateur Chef : Surf & Turf Pasta



Quick Lunch: Transforming Leftovers

"Re-invent" - to adapt into a different form; to give a new style or image to.


Live changes and everything in it as well, we can either grow with it - change for the better - or regress.  Reinvention takes place in many areas, sometimes forced and other times organically, whether it's in music, art or even food, a crisscross between two ideas seamlessly coming together as one.  Have you ever heard of the expression "One plus one equals three" ?  

Constant Change

About a year ago, I started this journey of sharing my "cooking" Revelations with the world, and it has open so many doors for me, doors I never knew were there in the first place.  It has brought so much change in my life, which I'm forever grateful for.  It has pushed me to constantly change the way I do things and how I approach new ideas, constantly reinventing old family recipes (sometimes burning my fingers in the process) and experiences, creating new memories or recreating old ones. 

Limited Time

Working in a retail pharmacy environment, time is of the essence, I'm constantly faced with long hours, short lunchtimes and a conundrum of what to quickly prepare in less than 1 hour.  When we cook the night before, we always make sure that we cook enough for lunchtime the next day.  If you ever manage to see me in lunch times, you will notice that I'm like a headless chicken, running around always trying to figure out what to make.

On our date night we had Steak and Calamari respectively and often bring leftovers home.  I had to come up with a scrumptious lunch for two, in less than an hour.  Ok. I'm running around in my head trying to figure out what we have at home and what I can do with this.  

The "one plus one equals three effect"

Combining two different meals, from the night before with my love of pasta, Lunchtime bliss was created.  Then it dawned on me, why not a Surf and Turf pasta? (Yeah I know some of you are rolling your eyes at the idea - get over it).

Surf & Turf Pasta

Serving  : 2
Prep &
Cooking : 15 minutes

Ingredients
  • leftover Steak
  • leftover Calamari strips
  • 250g Spaghetti, Tagliatelle or any pasta (cooked Al Dente)
  • Olive oil / unsalted Butter 
  • a punnet Mushrooms
  • 80g-100g Cherry/ Italian Tomatoes
  • fresh Basil leaves (to taste)
  • Mozzarella cheese (too much is never enough)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Italian Herbs
Method

  • Cook pasta in a pot of boiling water, until Al Dente.
Next few steps can be done while the pasta is cooking, this is usually 15 minutes, depending on the type of pasta
  • Chop steak into strips, and calamari into smaller strips.
  • Dice mushrooms.
  • In a frying heat oil / butter and add the mushrooms.
  • Once mushrooms starts to brown add the steak and calamari and fry for about 2 minutes.
  • Halve the tomatoes and add to pan and fry until just before the skin comes off, still firm. 
  • Add salt, pepper and Italian herbs.
  • Mix everything together and dish up, adding sliced pieces of mozzarella and cut basil leaves.  


Dèka
Enjoy 

Tin_Tin


Comments

  1. that looks so delicious, great post

    ReplyDelete
  2. This food looks delicious. You are a very good chef. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dream is just to share my creations with the world and my art. Thank you for the lovely comment.

      Delete
  3. You had me at pasta. So many protein leftovers would go into pasta the next day - great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pasta has been such a big part of my life and it is indeed my favorite food to eat. Thank you for the comment.

      Delete
  4. YUM I love PASTA!
    DEF A Great post!!! I look forward to seeing more!!
    -everydaylivinghacks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thank you for the awesome feedback. Watch this space !

      Delete
    2. Ps. Wonderful blog you have !

      Delete
  5. Oh man that pasta actually looks good and delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thank you so much. Pasta is always a winner!

      Delete
  6. Wow! That spaghetti looks super delicious ♥ We're huge pasta lovers here hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! Try it and let me know what you think. Easy quick recipe

      Delete
  7. I often prepare red or white sauce pasta. This looks different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hackytips! Thank you for the comment. Yes I also prepare red and white pasta sauces. But I tried something different and was amazed by the results

      Delete
  8. Yummy. That spaghetti looks amazing and appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Neil ! Thank you for the compliment.

      I’m sure with all your travels you experience different food all over the world!?

      Ps. Love your tag line for your blog.

      Delete
  9. The presentation is beautiful. Great chef skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you ! I always try to give a wonderful presentation and try to infuse my art skills into my food ! Thank you.

      Delete
  10. Amazing recipe with leftovers. You are a creative chef.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you !! Best food from leftovers. Great way not to waste !

      Delete
  11. Look delicious, you have a bright future in cooking! Especially that Dèka, I need to have a taste of that lol :P
    anw, keep it up! 👌

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so delicious and easy to make! I LOVE that it's also a great way to make sure your leftovers don't go to waste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! Just an amateur cook with a head full of dreams

      Delete
  13. i love noodle and my boy tought me how to eat it lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who can say no to that beautiful surf and turf pasta, not me at least. I will make this soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. First time fusing steak and calamari. And surprisingly it works !

      Delete
  15. It looks delicious. Plus I am a pasta lover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pasta is the true way to a mans’ heart.

      Delete
  16. The food looks delicious. I didn't know one could make such delicious and beautiful looking food items with leftovers.

    -- https://itsasweetsweetworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thank you ! Leftover food is fantastic to create new dishes. And food photography is an amateur passion of mine.

      Ps. Lovely travel blog you have ! Beautiful pictures of beautiful places.

      Delete
  17. I always envy those who love cooking and has the talent to cook. I only do easy ones, mostly, buy and eat. And this one is an excellent idea to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love combining my passion for food and art together. And always try to make a recipe as easy as possible.

      Delete
  18. What a great way to use leftover foods to make a delicious meal!
    *Samantha- https://herjournal.blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Samantha. You have a lovely blog !

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

01 09 10